Wednesday, December 23, 2015

DIY: Play Kitchen from Nightstand

I'd seen a number of DIY projects for children's play kitchen on Pinterest and thought I would take a stab at making one for my daughter for Christmas.  Thankfully, my husband and I don't ascribe to any traditions about WHEN we give each other gifts (before, on, or after Christmas) so I asked him to get me a jigsaw this year to help with cutting.  I'm sure it will come in handy for other projects down the road.  So Merry Christmas to me about a month early :)

Next I have to find a nightstand.  Craigslist was being no help (people don't know who to sell/barter/etc on there, it was frustrating!).  So I went to Goodwill on a whim, thinking they probably wouldn't have what I needed.  But low and behold, there it was.  A perfect nightstand to tear apart and re-use, and at the sweet price of....$3.99!!!

Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of it
when I bought it,
but here is a similar design.

I stripped the nightstand of all the ornamental trim, so it was very bare-bones to start.  With the jigsaw, I added thickness to what would be the counter, painted the 'oven' interior black and the rest was a gray color that was left over from another paint project.  The sink is a square baking tin that I got at Home Goods for $10.  Add a plywood backing and window cut out (all left over wood scraps).





Habitat for Humanity ReStore was a fantastic find, its where I purchased all the oven knobs, faucet, hot & cold knobs (they were actually old toilet handles) and handlebar for the oven. I believe this all added up to under $9.


I bought a magnetic curtain rod and hinges from Lowe's, as well as a wood plank for the table and shelf that I would attach later.  I bought stick-on laminate 'marble' for the countertop and peel-and-stick 'tile' for the backsplash. These all cost me roughly $20 as well.   


You can find little play utensils (or real ones) at a variety of places.
These shown were all from World Market, about $1 each.

Add some hooks (about 1 penny a piece), some baskets ($10/each), curtain (leftover fabric). Also, I added a motion sensor light to the inside of the oven, so when you open it, it turns on!  That was about $5.

So Grand Total: $68.04 (if I counted correctly) 

And since then I've made some oven mitts, hot pad and apron.  I think it's going to be a major hit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Card 2023

 In an effort to be more environmentally friendly this year (and because we ran out of time to send anything before the New Year), we have t...