Saturday, March 28, 2020

Dining Room Makeover

Before moving to Wisconsin, I had visited a little shop attached to a lumber yard in Michigan that was selling slabs of wood of various sizes.  In our old house we never had a large dining room table, we had all our meals around a smaller kitchen table, which worked well unless we had anyone over.  Seating became an issue even if one other person came over for a formal meal.

I knew once we moved to Wisconsin I wanted to invest in a good table and I LOVED the idea of making one myself, or at least finishing it.  So I found a company, Urban Wood Lab operated by Hoppe Tree Service that sold large slabs of urban trees cut down locally.  What a wonderful way to have a piece of Wisconsin history, an actual tree that grew up here!

I selected two slabs of ash and had then assemble the table top.  I would finish the table top surface and attach the legs myself. This kicked off the dining room renovation (scroll down to see the whole process and the before)



The After

The Before


Unfinished table top surface with legs attached.
I used Waterlox to seal the table top after sanding and the table legs were a custom order off of Esty.  


I was in a hurry to get some dining room chairs (my goal was the have the room assembled before Thanksgiving!). I ordered these green ones off of Wayfair.  Eventually I will find some that are more substantial/higher quality, but these looked great and work for us so far. The white head chairs were bought locally at a furniture store. 

I ordered the vintage rug from a place on Ebay (rugemporium240) on auction.  It is one of my favorite purchases and was very cheap for the size and look of the rug. 


And lastly, I painted the walls Woodsmoke by Sherwin Williams. A nice warm grey with a hint of green. 


Oh, and I was able to snag this deal on facebook marketplace as well.  A very hard working hutch that stores all the things that don't fit in out kitchen.  Really pleased with this purchase (that was half what I would have spent on it new). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Card 2023

 In an effort to be more environmentally friendly this year (and because we ran out of time to send anything before the New Year), we have t...