Thursday, April 16, 2020

Kitchen Update

This was by far the biggest and most intimidating project I had done in this house but  I knew it was something I should do if I really wanted to make this house feel like a home to me.  I am a huge fan of white/bright kitchens and this kitchen was anything but white and anything but bright.   The dark cabinetry, while perhaps very nice quality, were just the absolute opposite of anything I would have chosen for this kitchen.  It felt like a cave every time I walked in, and with the high ceiling, but small footprint, it just felt like being enclosed in darkness.

So, with a very limited budget, I decided the best route was to paint the cupboards. I knew I wanted cupboards that were either blue or greenish, but it took me a while to land on the color.  I eventually chose Sea Salt by Benjamin Moore and I couldn't be happier with the color.  Eventually I would love to switch out the countertops for something lighter, maybe a creamy white quartz and install a farmhouse sink instead of the horrible design for a sink there currently.  It's two sinks, but both are just not a good size and created way more mess than necessary.







The process was simple enough, but took about two months, start to finish because I did it all in sections.  I used a foam roller and a tinted primer before doing two coats of Benjamin Moore advanced paint in Sea Salt. I am really happy overall with the result, I think if I had to do it all again, I would sand down the heavily used areas (spots around the door handles) because I have noticed some chipping there already. But, I do eventually plan on replacing and updating all the hardware, so I'll likely do touchups when I do that. 

The dream for this kitchen would be to eventually update the counters, backsplash and maybe remove some of the trim pieces...its just a little excessive for my taste. I have played around with the idea of painting the tile floors and backsplash...but I'm a little hesitant at this point to paint tile that is in a heavily trafficked area. 

A bigger, and probably never going to happen dream, would be to expand the kitchen footprint into the mudroom on the other side of the sink.  It could make a gorgeous kitchen/breakfast table area, but would require a lot more work and a lot more money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas Card 2023

 In an effort to be more environmentally friendly this year (and because we ran out of time to send anything before the New Year), we have t...